Please note that the Library does not have Eclipse Glasses available for public distribution.
Library Summer Schedule
* * * * *
The Free Public Library of Audubon is now operating under its summer schedule. For the months of July and August, the Library's hours are as follows:
Monday through Thursday - 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday - 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - CLOSED
* * * * *
Job Opening Announcement - Library Assistant
FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY OF AUDUBON
JOB OPENING: LIBRARY ASSISTANT
The Free Public Library of Audubon is seeking an enthusiastic individual who is energized by providing excellent customer service to fill the position of Library Assistant. This is a part-time, at-will position, and may include day, evening and/or weekend shifts.
Under general supervision, while providing excellent customer service, the incumbent will perform a wide range of circulation and customer service related functions. Typical duties include: staffing the circulation desk, providing direct assistance to patrons, checking in and out various library materials, issuing library cards, assessing or adjusting fines, recording monetary transactions, preparing library materials for circulation, submitting interlibrary loan requests, shelving library materials, and shelf-reading.
Any of the following duties may be performed. These examples are representative and do not include all specific tasks an incumbent may be expected to perform:
- Perform all activities associated with the circulation function of Free Public Library of Audubon including: all transactions pertaining to the Integrated Library System (ILS); preparation of daily receipts reports; administering library policies, procedures and services; providing excellent and welcoming customer service in person and over the telephone; responding respectfully to patron complaints and concerns; copying, faxing and scanning documents at patrons’ requests; entering and tracking interlibrary requests; and assessing and/or adjusting fines and fees for damages, late returns, lost materials and other issues.
- Respond to patron requests for information and direction, referring to other qualified staff as appropriate. Assist patrons with basic reference information.
- Assist patrons in accessing computer programs such as email and using the Internet. Assist patrons with accessing online library resources such as Overdrive and EBSCO databases, and provide support for access on patron devices. Assist with current and emerging library technology. Assist in promoting library programs, information, services and materials.
- Assist with displays and other library promotional and informational materials.
- Perform basic paging responsibilities as needed, such as shelving, shelf-reading and book drop.
- Prepare the library for opening and securing the library at closing.
- Assist with maintaining a clean, welcoming and safe library environment.
- May assist with training and programming.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to provide excellent, efficient customer service to all patrons, staff and volunteers, in a busy public environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited direction or supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff, patrons and volunteers.
- Ability to handle money, give correct change and prepare receipt reports required for each day.
- Ability to sort and file alphanumerically and to perform basic mathematical computations, including ability to navigate the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the position utilizing the library’s technology, including a basic knowledge of Windows environment, the internet, email programs, copier/scanner utilization and other office machines, and ability to utilize and navigate the Library’s ILS.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow detailed written or verbal procedural instructions accurately, with willingness to seek clarification.
- Ability to acquire and effectively implement knowledge of library policies and procedures and to use independent judgment to resolve circulation and patron problems within established guidelines and sufficient training.
- Ability to work a schedule that may change periodically, including evenings and weekends. Willingness to being flexible to meet the needs of the Library.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Requires the ability to stand or sit for extended lengths of time
- Requires the ability to stoop, crouch, reach, and walk in provision of library service
- Dexterity needed to handle books, keyboard, and operate office machines
- Requires the ability to read print and computer screens
- Requires the ability to carry light loads and/or push a book cart
- Excellent customer service for patrons and co-workers.
- Knowledge and support of the Free Public Library of Audubon's principles of intellectual freedom.
- Knowledge and support of the Free Public Library of Audubon's policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively within a team.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing information, technology, work procedures and library services.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with patron and/or employee records.
This is a part-time, at-will position. The schedule will be determined by the Director upon hire and may include weekends and evenings. Please note that schedules are subject to change to meet the needs of the library.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED and two (2) years customer service experience, or any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED plus two years experience in a service-oriented environment. Experience working in a public library environment preferred.
BENEFITS & SALARY
Benefits are not included. Compensation is $10.00 per hour.
To apply for this position, please provide a complete employment application, a resume and a list of three references to Andrew Brenza, Director, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may mail or provide in person a complete application packet to The Free Public Library of Audubon, 239 Oakland Avenue, Audubon, NJ, 08106. Blank employment applications are available at the library: email Andrew Brenza at the above address or visit in person to obtain a blank application.
Should you need any accommodation and/or assistance with the application process please email Andrew Brenza, Director, at email@example.com or call the library at 856-547-8686.
Any questions may be directed to Andrew Brenza by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 856-547-8686.
Applications will be accepted until close of business on September 8, 2017.
Speaker Preference Survey
We Want to Hear from You!
In our continuing effort to provide quality adult programing, we would like to invite a speaker from Rutgers University
to the Library.
But we need your help in determining the topics you’re most interested in.
So, the next time you are in the Library, please take a moment to fill out a Speaker Topic Preference Slip (located at the front desk), and we’ll do our best to arrange a talk for some time in early December. Details will be announced on our website, Facebook page, and posted in the Library.
Astronomy ● Homeland Security ● Memory/Memory & Aging
Recommendations will be accepted until September 30, 2017
Attention Parents & Guardians - Important Policy Change Coming to the Library on October 1st, 2017
***Important Policy Change***
Effective October 1st, 2017
Guarantor lending privileges will be affected by the fines on guarantee accounts
If you have signed the Library Card Application for any juvenile account, and thereby assumed responsibility for it, please note that fines accumulated on
the juvenile account may affect your adult lending privileges.
Specifically, if fines totaling more than $5.00 exist on any or all juvenile accounts for which you are responsible, your lending privileges will be suspended until the fines are brought below the $5.00 threshold.
Please note that the $5.00 threshold is cumulative of all juvenile accounts for which you are responsible. For example, if you have signed for two juvenile accounts, and each of these accounts has $2.50 in fines, a total of $5.00, your adult lending privileges will be suspended.
To avoid fines, please return or renew your material on or before the due date. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask Library staff.
Summer Book Sale 2017
Summer Book Sale 2017
We’ve discounted all of the items we have for sale!
Beginning July 5th and running through August 31st, all items (books, audiobooks, CDs, and DVDs) for sale at the Library may be purchased as follows:
$0.25 per item
$1.00 for five items
$1.50 per bag (any bag) of items
Proceeds from this sale will go to purchasing another Library Membership in support of our Museum Pass Program!
Current candidates are the Battleship New Jersey in Camden and the new Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.
Local Author Series: Poet BJ Ward, Thursday, September 14, 2017 @ 6:30pm
Poetry Reading & Book Signing with BJ Ward
Thursday, September 14 at 6:30 pm
A resident of Asbury, NJ, BJ Ward is author of four collections of poetry and the recipient of numerous awards, including the Paterson Award for Literary Excellence, a Pushcart Prize and two fellowships from the NJ State Council on the Arts. He’ll be here to read a selection of his poetry.
Local Author Series: Novelist Kathleen Long, Thursday, October 12, 2017 @ 6:30pm
A Reading & Book Signing with Novelist Kathleen Long
Thursday, October 12 at 6:30 pm
Join us as we welcome Kathleen Long, New Jersey resident and Wall Street Journal best selling author of contemporary women’s fiction, romance fiction, and thrillers. Among her honors are a RITA nomination, a RIO award, and two Gayle Wilson Awards of Excellence.
It’ll be an interesting night indeed!
Museum Pass Program
The Museum Pass Program allows our patrons free access to some of the area's finest cultural and educational attractions.
Museum Passes currently available: